Suspect in shooting of IUP student turns himself in

The suspect in the off-campus shoot­ing of an Indiana University of Pennsyl­vania student turned himself in to state police Friday afternoon, according to the district attorney.

Eagan B. Minich, 29, of Indiana, arrived at the state police barracks in Indiana at around 4 p.m. Friday after allegedly shooting IUP student Hayden Warmke (junior, criminology) in the leg Thursday morning, Indi­ana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty said.

Minich was then processed and taken to the Indiana County Jail for ar­raignment.

According to Dougherty, state police were following leads and closing in on Minich when his lawyer reached out to Dougherty.

“[Minich’s] lawyer reached out to me early morning on Friday and said, ‘Hey, my client wants to turn himself in. How does it work?’” Dougherty said.

Minich was charged with attempted homicide, terroristic threats with intent to terrorize another and two counts of aggravated assault, according to the dis­trict court summary.

Bail was set at $250,000 Friday, and the defendant is to have no contact in any manner with the victim, according to the magisterial district court for the Indiana borough.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb. 13 at 1:15 p.m. before Magiste­rial District Judge Guy Haberl to deter­mine whether there is enough evidence for the case to move on to the Court of Common Pleas.

“At that point my office takes over officially,” Dougherty said, “and we have to determine whether there’s enough evidence that he committed a crime.”

According to Dougherty, state police have “executed some search warrants and did receive some evidence,” but Dougherty would not comment on whether or not that evidence includes the weapon used in the shooting.

State police trooper John Matchik said he didn’t have any information about whether or not the gun used in the shooting was registered to Minich or if Minich had a license to carry a gun in his vehicle.

Warmke, who had been flown to Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center in Johnstown Thursday night, is no lon­ger a patient there, according to a rep­resentative from the hospital. Warmke was unavailable to comment on his con­dition at the time of printing.